Dilwara Temples are one of the world most beautiful and sacred pilgrimage of Jains in the world. Located just 2.5 km from Mount Abu, Rajasthan, Dilwara temples justifies the beauty of Mount Abu also as the only hill station of Rajasthan. Dilwara temples are known to have excellent architecture and incredible work of marbel carvings. Some experts even think that Dilwara temples have better architecture than the Taj Mahal. Built in between the 11th and 13th centuries AD by Chalukya dynasty, Dilwara Jain temples are simple and general looks from outside but its extravagant doors of entrance tells abouts its architectural superiority.It is surrounded by green hills and temple complex by high walls. All of its ceilings, doorways, pillars and panels has minutely carved ornamental deails which shows its architectural uniqueness. It is also important to notice that at that time there was no convinience to transport such big blocks of marbel at a 1200 mtrs height. Elephants were used to transports marbel on their back from Arasoori hills at Ambaji to Mount abu. Dilwara Temple complex consist of five different temples, each devoted to five jain trithankaras(saints).:
- Shri Mahaveer Swami Temple– This jain temple is devoted to Lord Mahaveer the 24th Tirthankara of Jain’s. It was built in 1582. This is a small temple relative to other jain temples. Its walls have marvellous work of craftmanship of sirohi painted pictures of the porch. This fabulous work was done at 1764.
- Shri AdiNath Templeor Vimal Vasahi Temple – This is the oldest temple among all other temples in the complex and dedicate to first jain trithankar Shri Adinath Ji. It was build by Vimal Shah, Minister of Solanika ruler of Gujarat in 1031 A.D. Inside of the temple there are small images of Jain saints which have exclusive work of minute art carving on marbel. Outside of te temple there is an open courtyard surrounded by corridors all beautifully decorated with marble carved stones. “Guda Mandapa” which is a hall decorated with numerous images of Shri Adi Nath, is another attraction in this temple.
- Shri ParshavNath Templeor Khartar Vasahi Temple – Shri ParshavNath Temple has the tallest shrine among all dilwara temples. With four big Mandapa’s thi temple is constructed by Mandika clan between 1458-59 A.D. This temple also has marvellous carvings on the marbel pillars.
- Shri Rishabdaoji Templeor Peethalhar Temple – Shri Rishabdaoji Temple was built by Bhima Shah, a minister from Gujarat dynasty. This temple is known as Pittalhari/Peethalhar temple because ‘Pittal’ (Brass Metal) used in construction of most statues in this temple. It also have Gudu Mandapa and Navchowki.
- Shri Nemi NathJi Templeor Luna Vasahi Temple – This temple is dedicated to the 22nd saint of Jainism – Shri Nemi Nathji. It was constructed by two brothers known as Tejpal and Vastupal in 1230 A.D. Black marbel idol of Shri Nemi NathJi among 360 minutely crafted tiny idols of Jain trithankar in a hall named Rag Mandapa is amazing to see. The pillars of this temple were built by Maharana Kumbha of Mewar.
Timings: The Dilwara Jain Temples are open from 6 A.M to Noon for Jain devotees and Noon to 6 P.M. for tourist and No photography is allowed inside the temple complex. Temple Telephone – 02974-238424
Location Of Dilwara Temple
Dilwara temples can be easily accessible through road from mount abu(2.5 km). It is located in sirohi district, Rajasthan. It is well connected to Jodhpur (264 km) through Sirhohi and Pali by Abu road. The nearest railway station is Abu Road 29 km away and nearest airport is Udaipur (185 km) .