With the exponential increase in population, the unemployment rate in India is constantly increasing. It’s the need of an hour for both the private as well as government sectors to improve the job opportunities to nullify this long-lasting unemployment problem.
It’s no doubt that Indian Railways is one of the most popular recruitment sectors in India. Every year, Indian Railways release lakhs of vacancies for different posts across many Indian states.
This year, Indian Railways have received approximately 2.5 crores of job applications and there are close to 1 lakh job vacancies. From this, you can infer the unemployment rate in India.
Taking this employment problem into consideration, Railway recruitment authorities have increased the total no of job vacancies this year. They have added 20,000 new vacancies. So the total no of vacancies speculated this year is 1,20,000 (it was 90,000 last year).
Below are the vacancy details from the major railway recruitment divisions:
|Division Name||Post Name||No of vacancies (Approximate)|
|Railway Recruitment Board (RRB)||ALP and technician|
|Railway Recruitment Board (RRB)||Group D||62,907|
|Railway Protection Force (RPF)||Constables and Sub-Inspectors||9,500|
|South Central Railway (SCR)||ITI Apprentices||4103|
|Central Railway (CR)||Fitter, Welder, Carpenter, Painter, Tailor, Electrician, Machinist, Welder etc||2,573|
|South East Central Railway (SECR)||ITI Trade Apprentices||432|
As you can see from the above table, the majority of the job positions are filled up by RRB Group D recruitment. Apart from this, there are various other railway recruiters which are not mentioned in the above table. These vacancies in the above table account to more than 1 lakh vacancies for the current year.
Railway exams are usually conducted in three phases – there are two levels of online tests, followed by document verification. These aptitude tests include general awareness, general knowledge, general science, logical reasoning, maths, etc. Some of the railway exams also test the typing skills of the candidates appearing for the exam.
It is advised to the candidates to check the official websites for the latest syllabus and exam patterns before starting the exam preparation.
Below table will help you to sift through these RRB official websites:
|RRB Name||Website URL|
These are the most common subjects majority of the railway exams:
|ii||English / Hindi Language|
|iii||Numerical Ability / Arithmetic|
|iv||General Intelligence and Reasoning|
Since these are the most common subjects, I will walk you through the most important yet scoring topics. Refer to the below table to crack exams easily:
|General Awareness – Current Affairs||Art and Culture, Awards and Honors, Business and Economy, Books and Authors, Committees and Recommendations. National Affairs, People in News, Places in News, Defense news, Days and Events, Government Policies and Schemes, Sports, Capitals and Currencies, Appointments and Resignations, Geography, etc.|
|Arithmetic||Simplification (BODMAS, Approx Value, Square Root, Percentage, Fractions, Reciprocals of Numbers, Decimals, etc)|
|Arithmetic||Data Interpretation (Tabular Graph, Pie Chart, Line Graph, Bar Graph|
|Arithmetic||Mensuration (Areas & volume of Square, Rectangle, Circle or Semicircle, Triangle, Rhombus, Trapezium, Parallelogram, Cone, Cylinder, Cube, Cuboid, Sphere, Right Prism, Tetrahedron, Pyramid)|
|General Intelligence & Reasoning||Series (Alphabetic Series, Number Series, Mixed Series, General Knowledge Series)|
|General Intelligence & Reasoning||Puzzles|
|General Intelligence & Reasoning||Series and Order and Ranking|
(Matrix & diagram related problems Number Series, Mixed Series, Alphabetic Series, General Knowledge Series
|General Science||Biology, Physics, Chemistry, Earth Sciences, Environmental Sciences, Astronomy and Space Technology, Computers and Mobile Technology, Inventions and Discoveries, Nutrition, Military Technology,|
There’s always a room for improvement in any sector and Railway sector is no different.
There are many latest updates from the railway sector. Walk-through these updates below:
- Increase in vacancies
As mentioned at the start of this article, Railway ministries is recruiting aggressively and have added 20,000 additional job vacancies this year.
- Extended Last Dates
- Online applications for RRB Group D had begun in February 2018 and they were earlier scheduled to close in mid-March. However, railway ministry had decided to extend the application date for RRB Group D exams till the end of March.
- Last date for applications was also extended for Konkan Railway Recruitment(100 vacancies for the posts of Track Man, Asst Points Man and Khalasi).
This online application was to close on 21st June, but it was extended till 6th July.
- Refund of the application fees
- Government spends enormous amount for conducting various exams. Many aspirants apply for these exams. However, some candidates don’t turn up for the exams. This incurs heavy loss to the Indian government. Hence, railway ministry has decided to make some modifications in the fee structure of RRB recruitments.
- The exam fee for General Category candidates is Rs. 500 and Rs. 250 for the candidates who are eligible for reservation.
- RRB has stated that those candidates who paid Rs. 500 and appeared for the First Stage CBT exam would be refunded with Rs. 400 (Only Rs. 100 would be deducted) and those who have paid Rs. 250 (reservation category) would get a full refund.
- Those candidates who do not appear for the exam at all would not get any refund.
- Vacancies for 10th Pass candidates
- Here’s the good news for 10th pass students who aspire to join Indian Railways. These applications are invited by RRB NTPC (Non-Technical Popular Category). These jobs are placed under Group C and Group D.
Below are the posts for 10th pass candidates:
- Commercial Clerk
- Accounts Clerk-cum-Typist
- Ticket Examiner / Ticket Collector
- Train Clerk
- Junior Clerk
- Age limit for these positions is 18 to 30 years. There are age relaxations for the reservation category and women.
|Women (General category – widows, divorced women and women judicially separated from the husband)||Relaxed upto 35 years|
|Women (OBC category – widows, divorced women and women judicially separated from the husband)||Relaxed upto 38 years|
|Women (SC/ST category – widows, divorced women and women judicially separated from the husband)||Relaxed upto 40 years|
- Change in the Upper Age Limit for ALP and Group D
In the recent notice, RRB has increased the upper age limit for ALP & Technicians and Group D for all the categories. Read the below mentioned tables for the detailed age limit.
RRB ALP & Technicians
|Category||Notified Age||Revised Age|
RRB Group D
|Category||Notified Age||Revised Age|
- Multi-lingual support
As per the railway officials, candidates can now appear for the exam in other regional languages apart from Hindi and English – Gujarati, Marathi, Telugu, Punjabi, Kannada, Tamil, Odia, Bengali, Urdu
Smart work and practice is the only key to success for cracking railway exams. It’s advisable to study thoroughly and practice mock-tests to analyse your performance.
All the best!