All You Need About Thar Desert – The Great Indian Desert

0

Have you known all facts about Our great Indian desert? not yet? No worries. We have mentioned all the facts about Thar desert like how is area is covered, how many districts are occupied and why is it called desert? These are the most popular queries by lots of user across the google. So we have come with a blog which telling you all the details about thar desert.

Thar Desert Map

thar desert map of rajasthan
thar desert map of India S

How many districts of Rajasthan are covered by thar desert?

The Thar area or Western Rajasthan, cover almost 12 districts of Rajasthan that are Barmer, Bikaner, Churu, Ganganagar, Hanumangarh, Jaisalmer, Jhunjhunun, Jodhpur, Jalor, Nagaur, Pali and Sikar part of it comes under, also well known as the Thar Desert. Covering an area of 208301 km2.

How much percentage of Rajasthan is desert?

About 75% of the Thar Desert is in India, and the remaining 25% is in Pakistan. In India, it covers approximately 320,000 km2 (120,000 sq mi), making approximately 10% of the entire geographic area of India. More than 60% of the desert lies in the state of Rajasthan and spreads into Gujarat, Punjab, and Haryana.

It forms a significant portion of western India and includes an area of about 200,000 km² to about 238,700 km². In Pakistan, it continues as the Cholistan Desert.

 thar desert Jaisalmer
Amazing view of thar desert Jaisalmer Source

Most of the Thar Desert is located in Rajasthan, covering 61% of the geographic area of Rajasthan. About 10 percent of this area comprises sand dunes, and the left 90 percent consists of craggy rock forms, compacted salt-lake bottoms.

How large is the Thar Desert?

The Thar Desert is the 18th-largest desert in the world by area (200,000 km²).

The top 10 deserts by area are:

  1. Antarctica
  2. Arctic
  3. Sahara
  4. Arabian Desert
  5. Gobi Desert
  6. Kalahari Desert
  7. Great Victoria Desert
  8. Patagonian Desert
  9. Syrian Desert
  10. Great Basin Desert.

    Thar desert map
    Thar desert map Rajasthan source

Why Thar is a desert?

The Thar Desert lies in the leeward side of the Aravalli Mountains and thus gets scanty rainfall. Besides, the desert lies in the belt of trade winds which blow from the northeast in the Northern Hemisphere and southeast in the Southern Hemisphere. Thus, these winds blow from east to west. These winds shed their moisture in the northeastern parts of the country as it is a hilly region. By the time they come to the Thar Desert, they had lost nearly all their moisture causing little or no rain in the region. Thus, Thar is a desert.

Comments

comments

LEAVE A REPLY